Friday 31 August 2012

Dana plane crash: 58 families collect 30% payment

Culled from Premium Times.

Most of the bodies were burnt beyond recognition
More than 50% of families of Dana crash victims are yet to get any insurance payment
Less than half of the families of Dana Air crash victims have collected the initial 30 per cent payment made by the airlines insurers, an official of the National Insurance Commission, said on Thursday in Calabar.
Leonard Akah, the Deputy Director, Authorisation and Policy, at the commission, said that only 58 families collected the payment. He said this at a seminar for insurance journalists in Calabar with the theme “Making Insurance Work for All: The Micro Insurance Initiatives.”
According to him, the 30 per cent payment is the initial 30,000 dollars due to the victims in passenger liability claims.
“About 126 families’ submitted applications out of which 58 were cleared and have been settled so far,” he said. “This amount is exclusive of the pilots and the crew who have different claim calculations.”
Mr. Akah said the remaining applications had issues ranging from multiple people coming out as claimants for one victim, to non-submission of required documents for the claims.
He said that necessary documentation and proper identification have to be made before any payment can be made, adding that the issues involved have made it impossible for the claims to be paid within 30 days as required by law.
The deputy director said that the 30 per cent covers the passenger liability and third party accidents, among others. Mr. Akah said the remaining 70 per cent of the claims would be made after the processes of paying the claims have been concluded.
The insurance industry is expected to pay 350 million dollars as final claims for Dana Air crash.


Post a Comment